Quote:
I'm inches away from trademarking my name, so maybe this supposed legalty could force the current registrant to give me the domain. (of course, the .org domain is held by a legitimate organization of the same name, so causing a ruckus about it may land a few trademark infringment lawsuits on my head.) Hm, I'd forgotten all about this hazy memory of a law until just now.

I don't think it works like that. You can't just register a trademark and then go after a domain which is already in existence. If you registered the trademark first and they then came along later and tried to cybersquat then yes, you'd have a case otherwise no. If you were allowed to do it the other way then all hell would break loose as you could effectively hijack domains by just trademarking that particular phrase in your own country.

Judging whether they're properly using the domain or just squatting based on content is also a tricky subject.

You need to read the UDRP details first and then fork out money and time to get this resolved. At the end of the day, is it worth your time and money to file a suit against said company and then get ICANN involved?