Quote:
It definitely has some CANbus in it. However I believe that is only for the ECU to talk to the SMG gearbox (if fitted, mine's a normal manual).

I would also expect the brake module (ABS/ESP/TCS) to be on the CAN, and at least the instrument cluster. One of the modules will most likely also act as a gateway between the high speed and low speed CAN busses. Often it is the instrument cluster as it displays information from both busses to the driver.

Quote:
For diagnosing all the other stuff (HVAC, airbags, body computer etc) they all only connect to the standard K/L line bus.

It is not unusual for modules to have a K-line and a CAN interface. The K-line interface can be used for programming the module, and sometimes for diagnosis. The CAN interface is usually used for in-vehicle communication and can also be used for diagnosis. You can usually rescue a module that has been "flashed to death" over CAN by flashing it via K-line.

Quote:
It's a 98 E36 M3. Being a Euro-spec it's quite a different car to the US spec one. In particular the engine and ECU are totally different. Same body, but underneath, the engine, gearbox, brakes etc are all different.

Thank goodness! Sometimes US spec stuff will have smaller brakes and quite a few other differences that aren't at all desireable. Speaking of which, you car may well be using EOBD for the public diagnosis, and not ODBII!

Quote:
I wasn't aware that KWP2000 was German.

I don't think it necessarily is, but there is a German version of it. Well that is how I understand that designation.

Quote:
Most things I've read point to (older) European cars having ISO9141 if anything. All the new stuff is becoming CANbus though as you're aware.

As far as I'm aware ISO9141 si the communications protocol (like KWP2000 (ISO14230) whereas CAN is the physical layer. Both protocols can also be used with other physical layers.

The current (European) stuff is pretty much all CAN bus, with LIN for some low speed stuff like door modules (window winders and the likes). Some of the new suff is getting Flexray which is a lot faster than CAN.

Quote:
And of course standards don't mean a lot anyway.

lol, well a lot of the time. Some of the standards are acutally useful though, in that they are sometimes actually used! Scary but true

Does that help any? My esperience is mostly with vehicles from 1999 on built by another manufacturer here in Germany, so it doesn't necessarily apply to your '98 BMW.

Cheers
Derek