I'm currently mulling over the various things I want to do with my new car, and aside from the obvious (empeg installation) and my aforementioned desire to add a Wifi bridge to sync music, I'm thinking about in-dash navigation options. No slight meant to GPSapp, of course Unfortunately, space in my dash will be kind of limited. Right now, I'm using a Garmin Streetpilot 2610 GPS that's wonderful, but I'd prefer something a little more integrated.

So anyway, here's a picture of what I have to work with:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/download.php?Number=259039

The factory head unit that's there now seems to be not quite double-DIN, so it's unlikely I'll fit a DIN-sized navigation unit in addition to the empeg, unless my installers can do some *serious* custom dash work. The space left over will probably be about the size of the compartment at the very bottom that holds about 4 CD jewel cases. In addition to a lack of space, the other thing is, all of the in-dash nav systems I've seen are also head unit/CD/MP3 players, all stuff I don't want/need.

Fortunately, it appears there are "remote mount" navigation systems that will hook up to any video output and maybe do what I want. I don't know much about them, what brands are good, how good their maps and software are, etc. I also don't know if there are any in-dash "pull out" video screens that will fit in the limited space I have.

So, has anyone investigated thes remote-mount nav systems and in-dash video screens? Any opinions on what to look for, etc.? I'm going to be talking to my stereo installer about more specifics, but it'd be good to have a working knowledge in case their product selection is limited.

Thanks.

Attachments
259039-DSCN0661.JPG (588 downloads)