Quote:
There is no slugworth in the book, no returning of the everlasting gobstopper, nada.

Ah, cool. So in other words, Burton was being true to the book more than the first film was.

An aside regarding the first film: It may or may not have been as true to the book as the Burton film, however it did carry Roald Dahl's name as one of the screenwriters. I have to believe that where the 70's film differed from the original book, it did so with at least some of Dahl's permission, or even did so by his hand. It's one of my favorite films, mostly on the strength of Wilder's performance, and I'm fascinated by the similarities and differences between it and the Burton film.

Quote:
Neither is there any question of Charlie's family not coming along into the factory at the end. The book ending involves charlie crashing through the bucket home, and putting the old folks bed into the glass elevator with him.

Yeah, my first two thoughts when seeing the glass elevator in the Burton film were:
1. Wow, cool! It looks just like it did in the book!
2. Except... wait... it's too small to fit the bed at the end. I'll bet we don't get the bed going into the elevator at the end.

Quote:
The Indian prince who comissioned Wonka to build him a chocolate palace was in neither film.

As Dignan said, that was one of the things you missed.

Quote:
I do not recall Mr Burcket even being in the first movie

I don't, either, so yeah, another way that the Burton film was truer to the book.

Quote:
(which I saw many times, and every since on of them under the influence of drugs, so I'm not the best reference on it. I could be wrong on this.)

Hey, there's a thought. That film would be rather cool to watch under the influence. That, and Oz.*

(* I've done "The Wall", too creepy to watch under the influence.)

Quote:
Charlie finds the golden ticket in the second bar of chocolate he buys, not the first, nor in the street (is that how he finds it in the first one?).

In the first film, he sees the glint of a coin through a sewer grate, and must retrieve it to get the money to buy the winning wonka bar.

Quote:
In the book, Willy is described as wearing a black top hat, plum velvet tailcoat, bottle green trousers and pearl gray gloves. Neither film gets this completely right.

I do like the blue gloves in the second film, with the dentist father connection being made.

Quote:
The first movie was closer to the book during the entrance to the factory scene, but the whole exploding musical wax dolls was a really cool addition.

Agreed. I liked Wonka's entrance in both films, I thought the whole melting doll thing was awesome. And the callback joke made to it later in the film.

Quote:
In the book, the Oopma-Loopmas are described as being dressed in their native deerskin garments at all times.

Yeah, I remember that. I liked what they did with them this time, with the stylistic stuff they did for the musical numbers. And having them be all the same actor: Brilliant. Except wherever he had to speak or sing solo, the vocal lip synching and pitch trickery made the words feel disconnected from the actor. Still, I enjoyed it.

All in all, a great film. I especially liked places where they paid homage to the first film, or deliberately played upon our suspension of disbelief. For instance, Mike Teavee saying, "You idiot, you've just invented the teleport, the most important invention in the history of mankind!". Or the oompa-loompa lyrics tipping off that they knew what was going to happen, that the accidents were planned. "I'mprovisation is a trick. Anyone can do it." Loved that stuff, ate it up.