Quote:
Here's an interesting argument that implies that God must be interested in faith as opposed to proof. It's related to that Exorcism of Emily Rose movie, but you can largely replace possession and statue-bleeding with ID here for the purposes of our conversation.
Personally I'd never try to explain anything God does by saying He's trying to prove that He exists. God's purposes are largely unknown and I have a difficult time trying to speak on His behalf about His intentions.

There are examples in scripture of God allowing suffering so that He might be glorified through the healing, but this is not quite the same thing as trying to prove His existence. The people being addressed in this example definitely believed in God, just not in Jesus as the Messiah. And in these passages, Jesus does not focus on the "why's" of suffering (and even rebukes the desciples for considering such questions), but rather puts the emphasis on healing the suffering.

That suffering exists is one of the thorniest issues of faith, and the Bible gives no real answer to it. It does say that God allows suffering (rather than causing it), and that He works suffering for good for those with faith. It does not promise that this good will happen in this life though.

So I'd be red faced to try an explain why things like Katrian or 9/11 or people dying of desies or anything else happen. I do trust that God is working out all things for good for those with faith, but certainly there are those who have a terrible time of it in this life. My hope is in the afterlife, in which all suffering will cease and when compared to this life makes our time here seem only an instant.

As all of this relates to ID, my opinion is still that there are weighter issues within Christianity and that the best logical arguments of ID will lead very few to faith in Christ. Not that it isn't worth thinking about or adressing (clearly, since I spend a lot of time talking about this stuff with you all) but I think we do not do God an favors by placing so much emphasis on trying to prove that He exists. We should be able to answer questions and adress people's concerns, but in the end it's all about faith in Christ as the solution to our sin problem.