Short version:
Saw empeg mentioned during routine MP3 hardware research in 1998, but wrote it off. Then in 2001, luckily came across it again and was hooked ever since.

Long version:
I had been stalking MP3 players since the Rio PMP300, though could never justify purchasing one. My travels led me to the early empeg-on-crush-purple-velvet (thanks Tony) picture. Unfortunately, both the empeg and the first portable HDD player, the Personal Jukebox, were dismissed by me as impractical because "their hard drives will surely break under normal usage conditions." I decided the most practical MP3 player created to date (at the time) was the Rio Volt. I bought one as soon as possible and stopped following MP3 hardware entirely.

Fast forward from early 1998 to late 2001. While looking for an in-dash MP3 solution for my new (used) car, I luckily extended my search from Crutchfield to Google and rediscovered the empeg. After seeing the long MKI video showing the user interface and visuals, I was converted. Honestly, it was the Sound Flag visual that ensured I would pay *any* price for an empeg. I bought one new-in-box (thanks TTony), had it installed pronto, and the rest is history.

"hard drives will surely break under normal usage conditions.", nonsense! I should have read that 1998 article closer to realize just who was behind this and how good it was.