This is a little exercise in situational ethics related to restaurants.

Background: A pretty popular, good-sized fish restaurant. You often have to sign up and wait for a table, but they have a long curved bar with nice chairs (let's say 26 of them and call them A through Z) and you can just sit down there if seats are available.

Couple #1 comes in on the early side for lunch and almost all the bar seats are empty. They pick seats B and C. They could have had a table without much wait, but they like the bar because the service is generally better -- and it's now smoke free. They don't sit in seat A because it is at the end right next to a spot where the wait staff come and go.

An hour later, Couple #1 is just finishing their entree and is thinking about asking for the dessert menu. Couple #2 comes in and is told that there is a one-hour wait for a table. They take a look around the bar and see that there are two seats available - A and D.

You are couple #2. How do you proceed?

(edit: I see Bitt and Phil's responses and realized that I should have said in the OP that I am going to wait a bit to respond to responses -- let some opinion collect a bit -- as I have a few more questions that really depend on initial responses...)

Edited by jimhogan (02/01/2006 21:17)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.