Quote:

It's all running off a 1GHz C3 Mini-ITX board in one of these! I didn't pay that price for it, they are really nice people, I went to see them and they did me a really good deal. I also splashed out and got 2 new 250Gb WD RE from Scan. I am so happy with the format, I think I am going to shift the CCTV server into one too

Thanks to your post I finally spurred myself into action and bought the parts for my silent server (to replace the two big noisy and hot servers that currently live in my garage).

I was going to buy my T2e chassis from mini-itx.com, which would have cost me £150. After your post I bought it direct from Tranquil for £65 (via a "best offer" bid) ! Thanks.

I also got a PSU and EPIA SP13000 from them at the same time, with only £10 postage for the lot.

I've just put it together, along with 2 250GB Seagate NL35 drives (or at least the drives will get plugged in when I pick up a couple of SATA cables). Getting the old heat sinks off of the CPU and Northbridge was much easier than I was expecting.

Once I've soak tested it I'll have the joy of getting Debian + SATA + software RAID1 (on the boot drive) up and running.

I'll probably get another 250GB drive and fanless external USB2 box to act as the spare disk in my array.

P.S. does any one know if the memory limit for the EPIA SP13000 really is 1GB. It has a single slot and everywhere I read that it can take a maximum of a 1GB stick of RAM, but I have come across cases before where motherboards could in fact support higher density RAM, even when all the docs said they couldn't. A case in point is my old NEC laptop, all the docs say it can only handle 128MB RAM (limiting it to 256MB) whereas in reality it was happy using 256MB RAM sticks (taking it to 512MB).

Unfortnately (or maybe fortunately) I don't have a 2GB stick of RAM to try it with...