Quote:
I guess Portland got hit bad with this last one.

I wouldn't say we got hit bad. It was less than 5 inches of snow. Really, that's nothing. A lot of people just don't know how to drive in snow here. They were requiring chains or traction tires in the city, and I'm just driving around, going... "why?" But then, the first time I ever got behind the wheel of a car was in the winter, on roads similar to that. (Amusingly enough, the only other person at work when I got there was a fellow who used to live in Alaska.)

To top things off, Portland doesn't have enough snow plows and sand trucks to be able to handle a snow storm like that, either. They keep all that equipment out at the airport (from what I heard), which means there's really only one way to get them into the city. Sadly, that one way was blocked by an accident. It was ludicrous that, by 11am, they hadn't been able to plow at least the freeways.

The snow is pretty much all gone, by now, however. The Portland winter emergency plan appears to be "wait it out." There was an article in yesterdays paper about this video. There were no significant injuries -- I think it said the driver of the car had to get a few staples in his head to close a cut, but that's it.