This debate is informative, answering some questions and raising more. I've probably gotten myself into trouble by choosing solder, but given enough time and information, I can learn the task.

The solder-type RCA connectors I'm using have a flat - solder post. Can I solder wire onto a flat surface? My cheap RadioShack RCAs have holes posts. The "high end" - is just a flat surface and the + is a depression to receive the wire. Tempted to drill a hole in the - receiver to thread the wire.

The RCAs are where strain relief is my biggest concern. I'm considering hot gluing or caulking the wires at the end of the connector to help them.

How do I better join two (or more) wires before soldering them? Should I twist individual strands from both wire, then twist together the whole mass? Seems like risking metal fatigue.

I chose clear thin walled heat shrink tubing, but it seems thin. I probably should have got the thick walled for stronger support... but I think it had a higher shrink temp that I didn't want to mess with.

I chose standard tin/lead solder (two spools: one with and one without flux) over 4% silver solder because I didn't think I could handle the higher melting temp of the silver.

Maybe I'll try testing some soldering and shrinking this weekend. Eventually I'll get it figured out.