So for the past few months, Lisa (SWMBO) has been getting a ton of calls from this number on her phone. A little research showed it to be some sort of debt consolidation service. It appears that they're using an Indian back office, but some people also claim they're located in Costa Rica. Regardless, the calls have become really annoying, especially since both of us have our cell phones registered with the National Do-Not-Call Registry.

Today, I just happened to be home when they called her. She told them in no uncertain terms to "stop fücking calling". So, of course, they called back maybe two minutes later. Frustrated, she asked me to pick it up.

ME: Hullo?
Guy With Incredibly Thick Indian Accent: (yelling) HELLO!? HELLO?!
ME: Yes, hello?
GWITIA: Yes, may I speak to Miss Lisa.
ME: No, you can't. Look, you keep calling us, and every time you do, you're breaking the law. Under Title 47, Section 5, Subsection 2 of U.S.C. 227, since you don't have an existing business relationship with us, and because this is a cell phone, we could sue you for $500 every time you call. Do you understand that?
GWITIA: Well that may be true, but...
ME: No, but nothing. Hell, Lisa just told you maybe two minutes ago not to call again. Why would you call back?
GWITIA: I don't know, it's an autodialer. But...
ME: <sigh> Don't you know it's illegal to use an autodialer to call a cell phone?
GWITIA: Well...
ME: Look, if you call back again, I swear I'll have our lawyer sue your company to hell. And with the number of calls you guys have made to us, that's a pretty hefty chunk. Got it?

(Truth is, one of my best friends is a lawyer who salivates at the idea of suing questionable financial services...

GWITIA: But sir, you...
ME: No. No. Just stop calling.
GWITIA: Ok, ok, ok... but may I please ask a question?
ME: <sigh>... sure, shoot the moon.
GWITIA: Are you a politician of the United States?
ME: ...
ME: ...no.

GWITIA: Are you a policeman?
ME: No.

(short pause)

GWITIA: It's just that I was thinking you must be very wealthy to not need to consolidate you debts.
ME:

ME: No, really. Stop calling. Really.

<sigh>

Attachments
297289-FILE.png (102 downloads)

Edited by webroach (05/04/2007 18:20)