Quote:
I'm sorry for implying that she wasn't intelligent because she couldn't work PowerPoint.

Apology Accepted.

Quote:
I was kinda going for a separate rant about how education in this country is frequently sub-par, and that I know a lot of really dumb people with degrees.

Ditto.

Quote:
With that said... as part of the steps towards the master's degree, she's taking a course where creating powerpoint files is a requirement of the course? I would assume that one of the prerequisites of the course is computer proficiency, then? Or that it's at least assumed if the normal procedure for this college's courses is to submit assignments as computer files?

Well, with a Speech Therapist Degree, I don't think a computer proficiency course is required, unfortunately. I could be wrong. I would say that it's more of an assumption than anything. But you know what they say about people who assume? It makes an ASS out of U and ME. Don't get me wrong, I agree that she should know more about Micro$oft Office than she does but as your previous statement suggests, I think our educational system does a very poor job of preparing people properly.

Quote:
It's true that I couldn't replace a car engine, but then again, I'm not going for a master's degree where one of the courses requires proficiency in auto mechanics.

"Class, today's assignment is to create a CAD drawing showing the schematics of a Ford Pinto. Please email me your CAD drawings by the end of the week."