Quote:
Works on my poweredges - it is in the power part of the BIOS settings on those.

I'm pretty sure I don't have a power section in my bios, I looked through every option lastnight and I only found under integrated devices, settings for both nics, they were set to Without PXE so I figured I'd see what PXE was.

This enabled the intel pre executable environment, which gives me CTRL+S at bootup for more lan settings. In this menu their is a Enable WOL (was set to NO, changed to yes)

Quote:
Is this a plugin network card or onboard?
(IIRC some cards have a WOL header that needs connecting to a WOL header on the motherboard...)

They're Onboard. I searched the mainboard lastnight for any jumpers, or anything labeled WOL and couldn't find anything.

Quote:
Another thing: IIRC, WOL packets are broadcast - can you start the server, run ethereal and send the WOL packet to make sure it actually gets there - I have seen switches that don't pass certain broadcast packets (well, these were DHCP) unless specifically configured.

I found I had the nosmurfs options set in shorewall on my intranet adapter, which I disabled. The 2 switches I have right now are a Linksys WRT54G v5 (with all services disabled, dhcp, router, nothing plugged into the WAN port), then for the upstairs I have a 8 port Netgear 10/100 FastEthernet switch. I'm guessing the crappy linksys is causing the problems, either that or dhcpd or shorewall.

Quote:
Also, what user are you sending the packet as? Sometimes you need to be root. (Though I think wakeonlan is a perl script that does UDP and works as any user...)

I've tried every combination I can think of, regular user, sudo, sudo bash, su. While running each of the wol programs I have installed (etherwake, wakeonlan). I've tried port 7 instead of 9, I've tried setting up an /etc/ethers file with the ip>mac address.

On my Vista box, I haven't tried running it from an admin command prompt.

Still no wake on lan from either my router, or my workstation.