Ok, so I'm probably moving to a remote area of Belize within the next few months. The place I'm moving to does have a satellite internet connection powered by solar power, but I'd like to get a lower latency connection out there. Fortunately, we're right on the beach and there's a straight shot over the water to Belize City. In Belize City, we have an apartment with a DSL connection. I'm looking into the possibility of using highly directional antennae to shoot a wireless connection between my location and the apartment in the city. Added difficutly: even though we have line-of-sight, the distance between the two points is about 22.5 miles.

Having read some articles on the internet, it seems conceivable to get a reasonable connection over that distance. Also, since I don't have to worry about the FCC, perhaps boosting the signal strength is an option.

Does anyone have any experience with doing something like this?

Does anyone know the formula to figure out how tall the tower would need to be to account for the earth's curvature?

Does anyone know of a cheapish way to aim the antennae without using an expensive spectrum analyzer?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I work through putting this together....thanks in advance.

EDIT, approximate locations for the interested:
Where I'll be living:
17.185106, -88.305032

Apartment in Belize City:
17.490298, -88.186451

Edited by JBjorgen (29/07/2007 23:52)