Quote:
...Your description of the settings that have been lost is interesting, because all of the settings you listed were ones stored on the hard disk, either in the dynamic data partition or in the config.ini file. I'm guessing you've got generic disk trouble causing that one.

I'm fairly certain this isn't a disk issue. When the last one went, over two years ago, it was fairly obvious what the symptoms were. Just to make sure though I did check the IDE solders and replaced the IDE ribbon.

Quote:
...You purchased that battery for a reason: Because the prior one was dead. Perhaps there's a problem with the vehicle's charging system, perhaps completely unrelated to the empeg.

We could be looking at multiple simultaneous unrelated failures here...Are you seeing any other weirdness that you're not telling us about?

The simple answer is no. The truck is an 02 and the battery was stock. It went dead due to a moment (okay, an overnight) of stupidity on my part.

That being said I've developed a theory as to why this 'may have' happened:

I left the truck that afternoon and for whatever reason -bug, stuck buttons or a stray kenwood remote signal- the player turned back on and drained the battery. When I remote started it later that evening the battery had enough power to light up the electrical system but not crank the starter. As it's programed to do after a start failure the starter then re-tried a few times before I was aware of the issue. I imagine that the cycles of booting, rebooting and voltage loss basically tortured the poor player for a period of 3-4 minutes. During this time it lost its settings.. Just my theory.

More on the remote starter - For a little more background check out this post (althought that was written about a different truck with the same type of RS module.) Essentially what happens during a remote start is: Power is applied for ~5 seconds giving the empeg enough time to start a boot process. The vehicle then starts which drops the voltage to the accessories line and causes the player to lose power/reboot - prior to the completion of the first bootup.

The really interesting part is that my main and backup players behave differently during this process. The main one (which is the one that lost its settings) will do one of 3 things after a remote start:
Boot normally.
Boot normally and appear to be fine though the tuner will be 'missing'
Boot and get stuck at the version screen (a reboot brings it back normally.)

The backup empeg however does the same thing everytime:
Boots and then reboots and suspends.

Now GM's, like my Girlfriend's Buick, don't seem to have this issue because their accessory circuits are split. The HVAC system tends to live on Acc-1 while the radio is on Acc-2 (or vice-versa.) This is desireable as the radio doesn't power on till the key is turned to the ON position. My Toyota powers all accessories on Acc-1.

It's now painfully obvious that the solution to all of this is to remove the player when not in use. Which I will endeavor to do moving forward. Realizing my shortcommings though, I'll will sometimes forget. All things considered; would it be worthwhile to put in a relay to the empeg's Ignition source - using say the keysense as the trigger (i.e. the ignition line only goes live when the key is inserted)?