Originally Posted By: Roger
Originally Posted By: tfabris
Let's get more details as to:

Let's start with the basics: when you connect the ethernet, do you see a link light on the Receiver? Do you see one on the switch or hub?

There are two main problems with Receiver ethernet connectivity. The first is that the ethernet chipset isn't particularly forgiving, which is what all of the suggestions about trying a different switch or hub are about. If you're getting a link light, then this is not your problem, so let's rule that out first.

For what it's worth, we used Netgear FS108 and DS108 switches while developing the Receiver, and they're solid. If you can get hold of one of those, this is a good way to rule out ethernet link issues.

OK...so it looks like I have ethernet link issues, and would appreciate any help you guys can offer. I tried moving my Rio receiver to a different part of the house. Nothing else has changed (network layout, server software, server location on the network, server IP, firewalls, etc.) and in its original location, connected to a Netgear FS108 switch, the Rio boots up and connects just fine. I get the proper LED illumination for the port on the switch, the Rio gets its IP address, music is served, and all is right with the world.

When I moved the Rio downstairs, and plugged it into a WRT54GC (C=compact version)...no LED on the router, no IP is assigned, no connectivity, no love. I have tried everything, from swapping out cables, to changing ports, to rebooting EVERYTHING (server software, server, routers, switches, the Rio), firewalls on, firewalls off...you name it.

After finding this thread, it seems that I have a more fundamental problem. I have just upgraded the router's firmware and will see if that does anything, but if not...what is the best thing to try at this point? Add a hub/switch in between?