Originally Posted By: jimhogan
(edit: oh and sure you could share the printer over the network from a single computer but I hate that more -- making printing depend on the proper function of the hosting computer == bad, I think. Dedicated print server less trouble over time.)

True, it's not ideal, but the sneakernet method requires the same conditions. I was going to suggest the printer sharing as well, but I'm not quite sure how to do that in a Mac/Windows environment. The only thing I can think of that would make it easy is Bonjour, but I only know how to use that with a printer attached to an airport extreme. I believe it would work almost the same way though, wouldn't it?

Thanks for the link to the print server, by the way. I hadn't seen one that inexpensive before. I only have two caveats about it, though: first, it seems to get pretty low customer ratings on Newegg (not always the deciding factor, but something to keep in mind), and second, in my experience I've never gotten a print server that inexpensive to work with a multifunction printer. It's definitely advised that Doug check out a compatibility list first if he has one of those print/scan/fax/coffee/taxes/lawnmowing things.

Anyway, I'd take a look at Bonjour, as unfortunately I have no idea what those files are smile