Quote:
Anyway, line out -> microphone in shouldn't work at all anyway. You need line out -> line in. If the computer doesn't *have* a line in, then you might be out of luck.

I have both Microphone (pink) and Line-In (blue) inputs. Neither does anything when an audio source is connected to it. Normally when hot-plugging a jack into one of these inputs I would expect to hear a pop from the speakers. In my case, nothing. I do get a speaker pop when I plug/unplug the jack from the Line-Out (green) jack.

I followed the instructions about Vista and sound cards, but it was set up correctly already, that is, not muted.

I can play MP3 files from my computer with no difficulty. When I select a *.wav file to play, Windows Media Player comes up, and the progress bar creeps across the bottom of the screen in total silence.

If I put an audio CD in the CD player, nothing happens, probably because I have autoplay turned off. If I go to Windows Explorer and click on the H: Drive letter (which is annotated "DVD RW Drive (H:) Audio CD") I get an error message that says: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." WTF does that mean? DBPowerAmp has no difficulty accessing, reading, and ripping CDs in that drive. NERO sees the drive and CD, but plays the files the same way Windows Media Player plays *.wav files -- in complete silence.

EDIT All of a sudden, out of the blue, I can now play *.wav files from my computer. I opened Total Recorder, didn't change anything, closed it, tried to play one of the *.wav files that wreaked such havoc in SWMBO's Karma with the same results as before, tried a different *.wav file (one that I knew was good and had tried unsuccessfully to play earlier this evening) and it played.

Incidentally, those three *.wav files that made the Karma so unhappy really are defective. I transcoded them to *.mp3 using the Switch transcoder (neat little program, that) and Windows Media Player choked on them (the MP3s) as well as on the original *.wav files.

But I STILL can't play audio through my Line-In port on the computer. frown

tanstaafl.

Edited by tanstaafl. (22/09/2008 00:31)