I have a 2 GB Sandisk flash drive that came pre-loaded with a bunch of U3 garbage that allows one to run applications from the flash drive or something like that. The only thing I want to do with the flash drive is store files on it, usually very temporarily.

I cannot get rid of all that other stuff, stuff like "System" and "LaunchU3.exe". If I delete those files, they just magically reappear the next time I insert the flash drive into the USB port. My trying to kill those things have just made it worse, because now when I insert the flash drive, it also creates temporarily (as long as the flash drive is connected) a bogus CD Drive containing an autorun.inf file, a zip file with 25 files in it, and U3.exe.

Oh, wait... inside that bogus zip file on the nonexistant CD drive is an executable file that looked like it would remove all the U3 junk... and it did! Of course Winzip crashed at the end when the ghost drive holding the zip file I was running the removal program out of was no longer there, but Hallelujah, U3 is banished forever from my flash drive, rise up children and rejoice!

tanstaafl.