Originally Posted By: DWallach
I have exactly this printer, which I bought last summer for $180 via Costco, except mine says "Xerox Phaser 6100" on the front. So far as I can tell, they're absolutely the same printer. Thanks to the built-in Ethernet...

It looks like the CLP-300 doesn't have ethernet, but that's not to say they didn't include a space for it for other companies to put into their rebranded printers.

I've been really impressed with Samsung's printers over the past several years. For at least 4 years now they've pioneered the inexpensive laser printer market. They may not have the greatest features or print quality, but they're great little machines with decent build quality.

My printer philosophy: never buy all-in-ones and never buy inkjets. It goes without saying that you should never buy a combination of the two. HP makes great hardware, but they have the most terrible software I've ever seen. I've installed three Photosmart printers for different people now, and the process takes at least 30 minutes, is prone to failing and thus never installing completely, and even if everything goes smoothly the software is still buggy and the printers often report as disconnected. Ugh.

In contrast, I have a sub-$100 B&W Samsung laserjet that I got two years ago (it was under $100 even back then), and I've never had any problems with it.

The only criticism I have for these Samsung laserjets is when the toner runs out. AFAIC, you have to get the name-brand replacement toner, and that usually costs upwards of $70, or almost as much as getting a whole new printer (certainly far more than the printer is worth now).

So thank you, Doug. If/when the toner on my printer runs out, I'll definitely take a look at the CLP-300.