Quote:
The only criticism I have for these Samsung laserjets is when the toner runs out. AFAIC, you have to get the name-brand replacement toner, and that usually costs upwards of $70,

I looked into that before I bought the printer. Cost per page is one of my hot buttons, and I found the cost for toner on the CLP 300 to be reasonable -- usually around $55 (including shipping) for a complete four-toner set good for about 2,000 pages, or individual colors for about $18 each ($21 for black). If (as Dan Wallach points out further down) toner becomes difficult or expensive to find, my total exposure on this printer is less than $100 so I'm not losing too much sleep over it, or stocking up on toner now while its still available. The toner that came with the printer (2/3 capacity of new toner bottles) will last me for a year at the rate I use it -- so far I've printed about 20 pages, including this one (actual CLP-300 print scanned with Fujitsu FI-5120C). Mostly I was tired of having to save my files to a flash drive and walk across the room to SWMBO's Macintosh in order to print the occasional spreadsheet or what-have-you on her USB printer.

$55 for a complete toner kit seems practically free to me after dealing with the giant HP color laser printer in my [former] office. That one cost over $1200 to resupply, but of course it gave far more prints on a batch of toner. Still, the cost per page was about what the Samsung's is, although the print speed was at least six or seven times faster, and print quality was better.

One of the pluses for me with the Samsung was that they don't follow the HP practice of combining the toner and the drum in one disposable unit. Upside: Toner costs are greatly reduced. Downside: As the drum wears out, print quality degrades. But at least the option is mine to decide when to replace the drum (~$100). I always hated having to replace perfectly good HP drums just because toner was low.

So far my experience with the Samsung is good, but with only about 20 pages printed it could hardly be called definitive. smile

tanstaafl.