Originally Posted By: andym
Last time I checked the price of CAT5 has rocketed in the last few years, to the point where it wasn't that much cheaper than CAT6.

It's still cheaper to put it in before you need it, which was my point, installing cables after the fact is just a total mare. I used to spend hours trying to make a good job of wiring in new build houses when they hadn't put that crucial socket where they wanted it. I never was truly happy at the end of the job.

You can't beat having a bit of copper in the walls ready for use, it's more universal than fibre, you don't need so much kit on the other end and you can use PoE etc... or even just a simple RS232. I don't think CAT6 is worth bothering about for the whole house, and there is little point anyway unless the full spec is followed.

From what I have seen on andym's Myth system it look mighty impressive. I have never attempted it myself, but maybe freesat HD may be enough to tempt me. It seems a very powerful system, and seemed quite reliable for such a system.

Cheers

Cris.