Originally Posted By: tman
Putting in a couple pull cords into each duct would be handy as well.

I've found you have to be very careful with pull cords. Unless the duct is considerably larger than the cables currently inside, it can get to the point where you've got the cable halfway along before it snags around other cables which can be very frustrating. It's all to do with the way the cable twist around each other as you're looming them together. If the duct is tight and cables are very close to each other then you'll run into problems.

Off the top of my head I'd probably run the following as a minimum to each room:

4 x CAT5/6
2 x CT100 (Sat frequency RF cable)

The four CAT5/6's should give you plenty of ethernet connectivity, but also serial and KVM as well. The two RF cables should give you the flexibility of running TV + Satellite or two separate satellite signals in each room.

Then in the living room/home cinema add:

1 x Pair multimode fiber
? x Speaker cables

If you give a stuff about decent picture quality, especially HD then I'd look at using DVI/HDMI to fiber converter boxes. I don't know how big you intend the house to be, but I wouldn't feel comfortable running HDMI over distances any greater than a couple of meters, especially if the route the cable takes goes across other services.

Andy M