Originally Posted By: Cris
I once surprised someone with a trip to Paris, only to find out her passport had expired the month before. I spent a whole day in the London passport office waiting about and getting talked down to, not an experience I would ever want to repeat to be honest.

I've been to the London passport office and found it was fine. Book an appointment over the phone the day before. Turn up in the morning. Wait for my number. Give them the documents and form I filled in at home. Went to work. Came back at the end of the day to pick up my new passport.

Originally Posted By: Cris
I also find the cost of passports quite unbelievable, and the new bio metric thing I have in mine doesn't really speed things up at all, when we flew back from Austria I got side lined as I had a new passport, and Nicola made it through before me with her older one. Bloody stupid.

Most of the time they don't even check my passport. The few times that they have, they've put it into a reader and then just gave it back to me. Its about the same time as the old non biometric passports.