Originally Posted By: Dignan
I don't know guys, I think this might be a case of "I hate company x. I've bought 37 things from them and they all failed miserably. I'll never buy from them again, and only buy from company y." We had a hard drive discussion like that a while back.

I hear where you're coming from and I know what you mean, but that isn't what I meant, at least.

I don't think they're any worse than D-Link or Belkin or Netgear or anyone else of that class. I just think that they used to make quality products in the mid-range arena, and now they make the same low-end crap everyone else does.

Also, it just occurred to me that I'm thinking about Netgear and not Linksys. Linksys has always been crap. Netgear, on the other hand, was created by a big player in the network space (Bay Networks, since purchased by Nortel and run into the ground) to fill that niche. I could buy a product with a reduced feature set from commercial equipment, but with its quality for a 200% instead of 800% markup. Add onto that that there's no one left in that mid-range market that they created, and it pisses me off.