Now that I have the whole networking situation in my mom's house worked out, I need to figure out what the heck I should do with the whole-house speaker system she has. At the moment it's connected to nothing, and it all comes out at a location that just doesn't suit her big home theater system. So, instead of having a really nice Marantz receiver with 2nd room speaker poles, there's a standard def TV that's just connected to a FIOS box. (by the way, FIOS appears to be packing some major wireless routers these days - I fully expected to have to hook up another access point on one of the higher floors, but even with the router in the first floor I get about 70% wireless reception on the 5th level)

Here's the setup: the wires from the four sets of speakers throughout the house all come out of the wall on the 2nd floor. The home theater is directly below it on the 1st floor (the basement). There's a nice splitter box that everything plugs into on the 2nd floor, which lets you individually turn off each set of speakers. I had the following ideas:

- have someone come out to run a couple wires between the floors, or reroute the four sets of wires to the bottom floor - this would be pretty expensive I'd imagine
- get some sort of wireless speaker transmitter/receiver set, hopefully one with a powerful enough receiver to power 4 sets of speakers (unlikely)
- find an inexpensive receiver or amplifier (again, with enough juice to power four sets), and figure out something to hook up to it

That's what I've come up with so far. What I like about the second idea is that the main thing that my parents had always used to play music for parties and what-not was the AppleTV. I could leave the receiver in the basement's 2nd room output on the AppleTV, get her an iPod Touch, and she'd be able to control the music from anywhere in the house.

Any other ideas? Comments? Product recommendations?