I believe the fhg codec truncates most sound above 16khz, especially if you are encoding with a 128 bit rate. That may be part of the reason the music sounds strange. If you think the JS algorithm is causing the problem, then please try encoding the file from the original wav using lame 3.88. JS in lame sounds much better to me. You may want to try EAC, it has a secure ripping mode which will read the cd over and over again until it reads successfully. It will create a wav then encode it using lame if you tell it to. Another ripper option is audiograbber, its not a giant fancy program like MM but it will do the job of ripping to wav and sending to an encoder.

Don't try to take the mp3s and turn them back into wavs, you will lose quailty in the process, and if you are right about the stereo imaging, its gone. You will have to re rip from the original cd in order to encode to mp3 with the results you want. Sorry if its not the answer you were looking for, but encoding to mp3 should be considered a one way road.

If you need help setting anything up, just drop me a message.

Sean