This is the design so far for the wall unit - the middle section will house the motorized panel. The ceiling height is 9ft and the width of the wall where the unit is mounted is about 12.5ft. Each of the patterned areas on the center unit is 55" diagonal.

No wires or components will be visible. Components are housed in the base unit behind doors and all control is handled through repeated/distributed IR, with a single sensor mounted under the framed area in the center of the panel - very discrete surface mount unit.

I was originally going to make the artwork roll up and around the roller tube. What I'll do instead of mount the art on a rigid backing (1/8" hardboard) and that will be lifted by the roller which will be mounted at the top of the large center panel. Only the support lines will actually roll around the roller tube this way. The main factor here was to make sure the artwork has enough mass to move smoothly down in front of the TV and to make sure it's always flat (can't get bunched up or develop a curve due to being on the roller too often).

The motor can lift over 8lbs with the 1.5" diameter tubing I'll be using. The artwork will way considerably less than that, even once mounted on the hardboard. To make sure it's under weight, I'm putting holes in the hardboard backing.

The part that will actually move up/down is the bottom panel inside that dual framed area. The pattern represents where the custom artwork will be visible. Still haven't decided what the imagery will be nor if the top and bottom will form one larger image or simply be complimentary, but both will be printed on the same type of canvas.

Attachments
wallunit_sm.jpg

Edited by hybrid8 (28/03/2010 20:12)