Bike Friday (BF, the company) has been spending years getting people to look beyond their old folding bike memories.

The BF bikes have much better gearing than your grandpappy's folder. Even the basic commuter that I'm getting has 8-speed gearing that rivals many large rim road bikes in range. They use an extra large front chainrail to compensate for the little rims.

Their other models have anywhere from 16 to 72 speeds, with 20" rims instead of the smaller rims on the Tikit. A performance geek would naturally get a built-to-order bike from them, too, based on one's own body measurements.

Actually, I'd like to get a second BF bike someday -- their folding rethink of the mountain bike has a lot of appeal to me.

No bike racks or car carriers, fits in any automobile (even a smart), packs neatly into a suitcase for air travel..

But my first BF bike will be here later this week. I don't think I'll even bother with a lock, since it can be taken inside any car, store, office or restaurant that I'm likely to visit on it.

Photos coming, after the bike arrives!

Cheers

Edited by mlord (19/05/2010 01:54)