Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I'm not sure why something with heavy requirements needs to be on the web. Just make it a stand-alone application if it has such dependencies. Everyone seems to be in round two of being crazy for the web.

I'd actually like to see the results, but I'm not going to install Silverlight either.

EDIT: Here's my litmus test. If it doesn't work on multiple (different) browsers on different OSes without installing additional support plugins or programs, it shouldn't be a "web app."

I can't say I'm the greatest fan of Silverlight either, especially as a committed iPhone user. What the "app" is doing isn't quite possible/practical with HTML cross browser just yet. As such Silverlight lets us do things that we can't pull off cross-browser without it.

Of course taking your stance firmly you'd have to put up with a web without video, until the last few months at least wink

Many of our clients, not just Microsoft, are keen on Silverlight and some times you have to give the client what they ask for to make a living. For the record we do plenty of cross browser work that doesn't involve either Flash or Silverlight.

It wouldn't make sense to do it as a stand-alone app (even though that would be easy to do still using Silverlight), given that the whole point was for Microsoft to show off what Silverlight could do in the browser...

Edited by andy (11/06/2010 19:32)