I realize this is heresy in some circles, but what you really want is an iPhone. Like their computers, the iPhone just works. It's a brilliant piece of design and just a joy to use. The iPhone is the first device that captured that feeling I had in 1984 upon seeing the first Mac. There are other phones that do the "same thing", just like Windows 3.1 did the "same thing" as the Macs, or a 1971 Gremlin will do the "same thing" as a 2010 BMW 750i. Yep, it's more expensive, yep, it's still tied to AT&T, yep it doesn't have flash. And it's worth it in spades.

I have the iPhone4 and the stupid clamor about the antenna spot is exactly that -- stupid. Yes, you can touch this spot and affect the signal, but it is very easy to hold the phone even in the left hand such that you don't do this. You can get a free case that eliminates the issue entirely if you can't manage to avoid touching a small spot that is clearly marked on the phone.

The display on the iPhone4 alone is worth the price of admission. I have extremely high resolution vision (20/10 corrected), and I can't make out the individual pixels except in rare situations. It's possible to read extremely small type on the device because the rendering is so clear.

I've used all the others, and while you can make them work, why would you bother? Don't buy yourself a 1971 Gremlin. If you use the device half as often as I do (probably as much as my laptop, or even more), then suck it up and get the best one.

Jim