Encountered my first casualty of Jailbreaking.

The newest update to All of Wikipedia has put in some kind of check for Jailbroken devices and the app quits itself if run on such a device.

The developer includes a small note on their app page about it. According to them, most people with Jailbroken devices are pirating their software, and they have to pay for hosting costs for the wiki download, so they've denied access to the app for anyone with such a device.

Currently I'm out $10 for an app that does nothing. I've written to the developer and Apple. To Apple I've requested a refund. To the developer I've tried to enter into a dialog and offered up some suggestions on how they might achieve their goals without using this harsh method - and failing that, a refund.

Jailbreaking itself doesn't allow you to run software with mismatched or no DRM. You'd still have to install additional software that patched parts of the OS to allow that. If they want to check for something, they should check against a patched install daemon as an example.

One of my proposed solutions was to offer legitimate Jailbreak customers an alternative way to prove their copy is legitimate. This can possibly be done in a number of different ways, so let's see if they're willing to explore it.

As a power-user or enthusiast app, I'm sure they must have a large number of legitimate Jailbreak customers.

EDIT: Apple have refunded my purchase. I'm still waiting for a reply from the developer. I do still ant this app and will gladly repurchase it if they can come up with a better solution to their problem.

EDIT2: Developer has replied with some background information and was very pleasant in fact. I believe we'll be able to work this out and I'll no doubt be repurchasing the app. Hopefully the situation will also be able to be resolved for all their legitimate customers with Jailbroken phones.

Edited by hybrid8 (07/12/2010 02:27)