Originally Posted By: matthew_k
I called the place that did it and they were less than understanding - I said I'd like to have it towed to my mechanic, they said I should drive it there. I repeated myself, they repeated themselves. The peace of mind of having it looked at is worth it to me even the oil change shop never pays for it.

I figured they would immediately take a defensive stand. They know the damage they might have caused. I would suppose on the flip side they probably get a lot of people that blame them for all their car’s issues – “you were the last one to touch it.”

Hopefully the “chattering sound” was just a collapse lifter from no oil pressure and not a rod or main bearing. Unfortunately a rod bearing is the most likely thing to go first. The dealership should be able to tell by the oil pressure and any metal in the pan if you’ve got real issues. A spun rod bearing can really ruin your day. Especially when it breaks the rod and the rod ends up going through your block. You can usually tell if it’s a rob bearing when the chattering is loudest while cruising (no load or drag).

I just recently rebuilt a diesel motor because of a spun bearing, and 20 years of wear. Luckily when it went totally it locked the motor up and the rod didn’t break. Fortunately diesel rods are the size of bridge beams.

If it were me I’d have the dealership change the oil again (and filter) to make sure no metal particles remain.