If someone asked me what my favorite gadget I bought and used last year, my smartphone would be my likely answer. I want to know if there was a gadget you got last year that might not be a big name. Here's my example:

Western Digital WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit

I've been using powerline networking devices for years now, and I'll be the first to admit: they're pretty bad. Often, though, they're the only recourse. About 5 years ago, when I was still living in my parents' home, my computer was set up in locations that just couldn't get WiFi. I finally stumbled across a Netgear product (the XE102) that promised a whopping 14Mbps transmission rate. Of course, you never get anywhere near that 14Mbps in real world use, but it was enough for web browsing and email. I then stepped up to the XE104, which had four ports on each unit and was 85Mbps. I still didn't get that speed, but now I could download small files smile

Flash forward to 2010. I simply had no way to get my home wired, and for some reason wireless just wasn't cutting it, no matter what I tried (and I tried at least four different setups). I was willing to try powerline again, but everything out there was still pretty slow and/or cost a hell of a lot of money (over $100 for each plug). Then I stumbled across WD's Livewire.

The Livewire is rated at 200Mbps (more on that later), it costs $99 for a two unit package, and each end has four ports, so at the home theater side I was able to connect my Tivo, my WDTV or Boxee, and my bluray player. Now, as I stated earlier, powerline never gives you real-world results anywhere near the rated speed, but so far the Livewire has been more than enough to get 1080p video streaming to my Boxee Box. I haven't had any speed issues whatsoever.

This product was a true surprise, a great value, and has really helped eliminate an annoyance I've had for quite some time. I am a big fan of the WD Livewire, and can truly say that I have nothing negative to say about it, which is rare for a CE device.

So, is there a gadget like this that you guys used last year?