Originally Posted By: tman
As for Mozy, its stupid that they offered an unlimited service in the first place.

That's probably true. I think the problem is that the vast majority of their users are going to suffer enormous price increases based on their new pricing schemes.

Quote:
Were they really so naïve to offer this without considering that people will upload large amounts of data and are perfectly within the terms of their contract to do so?

They probably were, though I don't think this is a result of them being mad that people are uploading so my data. They surely expected that. I suppose it's just not possible for them to expand at the rate that people are taking advantage of the unlimited space.

And I don't consider myself to be using an incredible amount of data. Like I said before, the bulk of the data I've backed up to Mozy consists of my photos and my wedding video. It's not like I'm backing up terabytes of copyrighted media, which I suspect is what they're battling here. If so, I still think they increased the prices too much.

I'd be interested in knowing the average amount of data that their users are backing up...