Originally Posted By: Dignan
First of all, a waiter/waitress is doing a hell of a lot more than "pick up a plate of food and walk 20m." Have you ever waited tables or known someone who does? Do you know how much they get paid?

I know plenty of people who have done waiting jobs, me personally I've always had more sense and got myself jobs that pay well in the first place. It's no harder job than any other job in any other service industry. In fact I would go as far to say it's much much easier than working the kitchen or cleaning the dishes.

"telephone engineer" - does not get tipped (sorry!)
"wedding photographer" - pretty sure should be tipped

This makes no sense at all, and totally proves my point. Both are personal service industries but one gets a tip and the other doesn't. Who says! I think Mr Pink has a point!

So is this a grudge you're holding that makes you not tip? I go into people's homes and fix their computers. That's pretty damn personal too, but I don't expect to get tipped for it. I'm also making far more than an minimum hourly wage for that service.

No grudge. I just don't bow to social pressure and give my hard earned cash to people who avoid tax and don't go get themselves a better paid job. I don't expect a tip and nor should I. The whole idea is stupid and frankly in quite poor taste, I have no idea where this culture came from but I sure wish it would go away.

Cheers

Cris