Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I guess you should just avoid full-service restaurants. I don't think anyone there would miss you.

Lets not get personal now!

I've had to deal with difficult people for my who career, in every job I've ever done I've been public facing. I am actually easy going as I know how difficult a job can be, but I can't quite see why someone who takes an order then delivers it is in any way special to the point where you'd hand them that little bit extra after spending £20 on a steak and £5 on a glass of wine.

In fact a made a career from customer service, my last job in BT was the manager of the team that deals with complaints right from the the top of the organisation, so I know just a little bit about keeping customers happy, and basically doing my job very well. I didn't get tipped once I might add.

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Oh, also: how is "telephone engineer" a personal service? Merely because they come to your house?

I suppose in your book "the cable guy" is just a tradesman who should use the back door and wipe his feet before coming in. In every single way a telephone engineer in this country is offering a much more personal service than a waiter.

So apart from the fact that the Hotel/Restaurant under pays their staff and over charges for their food/rooms, why would you tip a waiter or bell boy but not someone who comes to install your internet connection ??? I just don't get it.

Do you tip the check out girl at the super market ??? I mean she must be on pretty crap wages and fall into a very similar demographic as a waiter. Do you tip the homeless guy for doing a really good sign and keeping his dog really well, you may want to knock a bit off if he swears at you!

Can you give me a break down of what exactly a waiter does to deserve your tip ??? I don't seem to be getting it do I ???

Cheers

Cris