Originally Posted By: tfabris
I was about to make a snarky comment about Galaxies, but then I wiki'd it and they had a 10- or 11-year year run, which is really not bad when you think about it.

8+years live. And still profitable even after the uproar NGE created. I can't be too snarky about it, considering NGE is why I got my full time job in the industry, and provided me with bonus checks when I worked there. A few hours ago I was logged into my developer account watching the final countdown, sitting on the porch of my house. For all the grief people gave Galaxies, the sandbox setting was something that very few other games have attempted. None of this silly instanced player housing (or in the case of WoW, none at all), but real housing, and player made towns that took space in the real world. Complete with mayoral elections, tax setups, resource mining, and the ability to set up store fronts and more.

The end events were fantastic too. The galactic civil war came to the end, with the outcome decided by the players on each server. Most had the rebels winning, but a few had the empire win. They also enabled atmospheric flight, allowing people in their ships to fly on the planets, instead of just in space. Everyone on the ground was given missiles to shoot them down too. smile

As for SW:ToR, I'm going to check it out. Been in the beta for a while, but didn't play a ton due to the reboot tax. I know a number of people who worked on it though, and do hope it does well. This is BioWare Austin's first game, though many people there have long MMO resumes.