Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I'm pretty sure that's not right. I don't know how it works elsewhere in the world, but in the US, there is a definite distinction between DVDs that are closed captioned and DVDs that are subtitled. Subtitles are the DVD-specific out-of-band data that it overlays onto the video and is enabled via the DVD player. Closed captioning works exactly like it does when attached to an NTSC source, meaning that you have to tell the TV to decode the captions.

OK, sounds like that's the US wording for the difference between DVD subtitles (stored on the DVD as bitmaps, composited onto the video stream by the DVD player) and teletext subtitles (stored on the DVD as text, sent as text in the NTSC/PAL blanking region by the DVD player, composited onto the video by the TV which has the rasteriser and font).

Quote:
100%. I've already bought and returned one, and got a definitive answer from their support.

Fair enough. You might be out of luck then.

Quote:
But, again, I'd really rather have my Blu-Ray player connected via HDMI. I suppose it might be possible for it to work properly via a component connection, but I haven't tried, and I'm not really sure that there's a Blu-Ray player that has component connections on it, at least for an amount I'm willing to pay.

Can you get BD players that have both hi-def and standard-def outputs? If so, you could connect it to your TV with both cables, and just remember to switch inputs when playing a DVD. (In the UK, BD players with SCART seem to be hard to come by, but maybe that's an issue with connector bulk rather than functionality.)

Peter