Yeah, this is totally the 2012 version of my annual rant against the latest thing Apple did that matches what 90+% of customers want but completely screws me. I'll have to get a base station and then a dongle for when I need to plug in somewhere other than at my desk (and hope I don't lose / forget the dongle.)

I understand that most people don't work in an environment where wi-fi isn't allowed, and thus I'm in a very small minority here, but the "case is too small" argument is really weak. The new MBP is only 0.05" thinner than the previous unibody, and there's much more than 0.05" of case around the ethernetj jack. On the Macbook Air, I get that there's really no room, and I understand the tradeoff, but this is supposed to be the "pro" machine, and some pros like to have a real ethernet jack.

I'm also really surprised they didn't do anything to alleviate the confusion of "Macbook Pro" versus "Macbook Pro with Retina Display", which might as well be an entirely new product line (different dispaly, SSD instead of spinning disk, etc.) Why not just call the non-retina ones "Macbooks" and the retina ones "Macbook Pros?"