Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Apple continues to, apparently intentionally, ignore corporate users.

Honestly, what corporate user wants/needs the resolution of the new MBP? It's a machine for power customers, not corporate "users" who get told how to think by their employers.

I'd much prefer ethernet without a dongle as well, but it's simply impossible to fit the connector with the new form factor without something like a slide-out top-plugging connector - which is very fragile. More on this below.

That said, the announcements at WWDC were a total snore-fest besides a few tiny highlights.

The resolution on this new model is great, but software support won't be there from third parties for a little bit. Adobe software is going to be next to unusable on the built-in monitors. I'm disappointed they're calling it the "next generation" - sorry, if it's out now, it's the CURRENT generation. I'm sad to see they haven't changed over the entire line to retina displays and this new form factor. Especially sad to see the 17" model missing - I hope that's temporary, because I didn't think I would ever buy another 15" machine. I don't even care if a 17" comes out in a newer thinner shell, I just want the new screen and updated internals. Besides, in losing an optical drive, I'd like to continue being able to use a platter-based HD along with an SSD.

iOS news was worse than boring. The only highlight, IMO, OS-wise is the new and long overdue Do-Not-Disturb feature. I say long-overdue because it's really a 1.0 software item like pretty much every other low-hanging feature they've been adding over the past 5 years. Maps? Passbook? Those are apps, not an OS core features. And again they're using software to try and obsolete hardware sooner than it needs to be. Not as bad as the other OS vendors, but still sad to see the cut-offs.

It's old news, but I'm not happy about the new Mac OS 1-year schedule either. IMO, that's far too aggressive and is likely to lead to more problems than it could ever solve.

Edited by hybrid8 (12/06/2012 15:51)