Originally Posted By: drakino
I'm not quite sure why you equate not wanting to add a photo display, clock or other features discussed in that blog article as cluelessness.

It's attributing those things to people who have Control4 and Crestron systems that's clueless. Those people most definitely don't want Nest to do any of those things the author mentioned. Those people have automation systems that can already do absolutely everything. If they want a Nest, it's so they can tie it into the system to do what it already does, manage the thermostat duties of the premises, including reporting back to the automation system.

So the guy was either clueless about automation systems and the desires of their customers, or he was being disingenuous.

I brought up Nest because I've been wanting this kind of product for years, but I'm really looking to replace my existing thermostat with something that also has support for a few technologies mine doesn't - the things I mentioned. I have an HRV and humidifier that I have to use other controls for right now. I also run the fan manually to circulate air around the house which helps to keep a stable temperature in every room. It also helps to prevent certain rooms from getting stuffy because they may not see any traffic for extended periods of time.

It's a great basic product, but I feel let down because they're over promising and making it out to be of much bigger significance than it really is. But it's damn damn pretty.