Originally Posted By: Archeon
Matt, I'm reviving this older topic because I'm curious to hear what your experience are now with UniFi now you've been using it for a couple of months. And more in particular with the roaming of your setup. Does this work flawlessly every single time?

Here's thing with this: if you're doing something that doesn't buffer, like some VOIP services, you'll experience a hiccup. This happens to me with GrooveIP sometimes, though other times it doesn't. If you're watching a Youtube video or using a streaming service that has any amount of buffer, you'll never notice the hand-off. The newest version of their software is supposed to be released any day now (it's been any day now for around six months, apparently), and that version is supposed to have truly zero hand-off delays. Still, for my purposes I haven't noticed any problems and the system still works flawlessly, IMO. I haven't touched the configuration panel since I set the whole thing up.

Quote:
Another thing: can UniFi be setup with any router of choice? I would expect yes, but I figured I'd ask.

Absolutely. Heck, you don't even need to access the router at all (except for turning off it's own WiFi). All you have to do is physically install the APs, then install the software on a local computer and configure it. It's very easy to set up.

Quote:
I've read in that other thread you're now looking into buying one of those routerOS routers, probably because they offer you a lot for their money and you don't need WiFi on the router anyway.

Indeed. If I'm not going to use the router's WiFi, I figured I might as well not pay for the feature. I also wanted something reliable, with good software. Sounds like those routers are the ones to go for.

Unfortunately, so many ISPs these days install the all in one modem/router. The Fios Actiontech routers are even necessary for guide data on the TV boxes. Setting up these routers for bridge mode is often very difficult. I did it at one point in my last place, and this time I decided to just live with it. I'm looking forward, however, to using those routerOS routers in situations where someone has just a modem and nothing else. I might have a situation like that next week.

Quote:
I must say this is a very interesing path to choose.
I'm now in dubio for my own setup : what to choose : the new Netgear r7000 AC1900 router, which is said to have excellent range and might also solve my "dead spots" problem in one go, or the non-wifi router + unify setup, which would be a bit more expensive and non-802.11 AC compatible (well, if I don't want to pay the AC price premium anyway), plus I'd have to be absolutely sure the roaming works as advertised...

AC is expensive. The Airport Extreme is pretty reasonably priced, considering its build quality and the competition. The Unifi AC units still have some work, from what I hear, plus they're half again as expensive.

In my home I have the least expensive Unifi APs. I've had no speed issues whatsoever, though I'm not slinging large files around very much. The low end Unifi hardware is far more than capable of handling any streaming video you might throw at it, and that's the most important need I have for my network.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have a couple thousand square feet or more, and need to cover those WiFi dead spots, there is no better solution than Unifi.