Hi,

I think you have me beat on the curling stone style drives.

I have seen plated wire memory and bubble memory devices. At a Sperry Univac building in BlueBell, Pennsylvania, they had a microscope in the hallway that people could look into. It showed an active bubble running around the memory array moving from address-to-address. It was cool to see a few times. I also have an Intel bubble memory unit around somewhere, core arrays too, of course. 5MB? Really that much, huh?

We had a RAMAC cylinder memory drive for production at Sperry. It was used with a Univac 418 computer. If we had a power hit or bump, it would spin down or be interrupted - we expected at least 1/2 hour down-time until it was on-line again. Days gone by...

I just installed a Crucial M500 480GB in my main home system. My Seagate 750GB drive # of boot times was up and failed like a previous one. They are all out of my new system, of course.

I always perform monthly full drive image back-ups (EaseUS Disk Copy), and so my back-up was only 19 days old. Amazing how much crap you can put on a system used for general use and Engineering research in only 19 days - I had to go back and re-create some of it.

I decided to change systems and now I run my i7 back-up system. I left my i7 simulation system intact. I had to shrink the volume to a little over 379GB to fit the 480GB SSD. Took some time, but it's done and the 3 other 2TB drives - besides the 480GB SSD, only one needed the most work. I designated the remainder of the SSD as a Fast Local Storage drive partition.

I purchased the Crucial M500 used after reading your recent post and checking reviews. I paid $220 USD for it, it's almost brand new.

Are you thinking of playing with the IDE to SATA Adapter issue?

I looked at the Kingspec product, I would like larger storage space. I currently have dual WD 250GB drives in my Empegs. Thanks anyway.

Nice looking install, Happy motoring!!!

Ross