Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Maybe this site is old news to you guys, but it proved pretty entertaining to me.

It's been interesting following it's progress. They showed off the early development versions at Quakecon, then let the Quakecon attendees into the beta first. It's now used as their competition game instead of the older local versions of Quake. All the tech exists now in browsers that they could convert it to not use plugins, though I'm not sure if they have plans to do so.

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
I was pleased to see that the makers of my all-time favorite game (DOOM) were still hanging in there.

Sadly the people behind it have all departed id now, the ZendiMax takeover has been rough at times. Most of the departures though were so they could continue their talents in other areas. And I'm hearing good things about the next Doom game, a good return to the feel of the old ones.

John Carmack in particular is now the CTO at Oculus Rift, the virtual reality company. Fitting since Quake was initially his vision of pushing some of the virtual worlds forward. And he's reunited with Michael Abrash there which is great to see.

John Romero is off still doing his own thing and getting better. His wife is also been quite productive recently