Originally Posted By: DWallach
- They're abandoning the current ask-for-everything-up-front permission model for something closer to how iOS does it, allowing an app to make a permission request any time it wants, but now apps have to deal with users who say "no". Legacy apps don't need to make these requests, but users can go in and revoke permissions. This is not the same as what CyanogenMod's PrivacyGuard does, where it just lies to the app. "You want contacts? Here you go. Oh look, there are zero contacts." Nope, you try to read the contacts and it will just grenade on you.

I'll have to look for it again, but I thought I saw that for legacy apps when permissions are turned off, the phone will serve up an empty dataset vs just simply grenading the request and letting the app choke. In any case, good to see the main Android platform move to the newer model, and I hope most apps follow quickly.

I watched most of yesterdays keynote, still need to catch up on anything in todays keynote. Props to Google for putting forward a more inclusive group of presenters. Along with toning down the snarky comments about other platforms and focusing more on their own products again.

A few words of caution to anyone on a Mac or iOS device and the new Google Photos. The Mac importer only knows how to handle iPhoto, not the new Apple Photos. Since Photos leaves the migrated iPhoto library around, Google's app may see it and upload stale photos. I couldn't find a way to force it to look at Photos, but it seemed to pick up the images if I set it to simply handle my entire Pictures folder.

On iOS, Google Photos will not function without being granted access to the system photos library. When photos are deleted inside Google Photos, it also tries to delete them from the system library. With iCloud Photo Library on, this would delete the photos on any device (recovery from the trash is possible). Due to the mix of these two issues, my testing environment ended up with duplicated photos, and then when cleaning up, risked causing issues on the Apple Photos side.