Originally Posted By: jwmking
Do you have any territorially aggressive ones?
Once the Spring and Summer crowd reaches critical mass, no. There are too many birds to even try and chase away. In the Fall and Winter, I only put out two feeders, sometimes only one, and instead of going through 13.5 quarts of nectar like I did yesterday, total consumption drops to less than a single quart per day. At that point, I sometimes get what is called a Bully Bird.

That situation does not prevail. Remedy.

That is a spring-powered* pistol that shoots a plastic pellet weighing .12 grams, or about three ten-thousandths of an ounce. Nonetheless, that is about 1% of the hummingbird's body weight and the impact is severe enough that when hit, the hummingbird flies away and does not return. Well, one of them did, but I suspect that the first hit was just a grazing blow that disturbed his feathers and little else.

Even though this is a non-fatal procedure, I was banned for life from a popular home and garden website for telling them my bully-bird solution. Go figure.

According to what I have read, a hummingbird will drink twice its 12 gram weight in nectar per day. If I am going through 12 quarts of nectar per day (13.5 yesterday!) that would feed, uhhh, let's see. 12 quarts, 32 ounces per quart... no, wait a minute, that's 32 ounces of water per quart, the nectar is heavier, 36.6 ounces per quart. So, 12 quarts, 36.6 ounces per quart = 439 ounces or 12,429 grams. That's more than 500 different hummingbirds per day at my feeders. In this case, a "day" is 14 hours (6:45am until 8:45pm), so the feeders on average are hosting 35 birds at any given time.

tanstaafl.

*The pellet is actually propelled by air. The spring is compressed when you cock the gun, and it pushes air through a chamber, propelling the pellet when the spring is released by the trigger.