A friend in Alaska is looking to replace her old Apple laptop with a newer model. Hers is apparently old enough that it can't be updated to the newer operating systems. She would prefer a year or two old used computer.

I know virtually nothing about Apple products, so am probably a bad person for her to ask.

She is not a heavy user -- mostly email, Facebook, uploading and downloading a few photos. She travels between Alaska and Florida with the computer, so something like a 17" MacBook Pro would probably be too unwieldy.

What should she be looking at, and where should she look?

Also, she wants an All-In-One printer. Again, I am not a good one to ask as I have possibly unreasonable and definitely strong biases against All-In-Ones and inkjets.

All-In-One printers IMHO do several things marginally, and nothing well. And inkjets... don't get me started about fantastic cost per page and unreliability. Of course, her print volume is staggeringly low, maybe a couple dozen pages per month, so she might be happy with a less expensive printer than I could live with. On the other hand, an ink jet that sits unused for weeks (and in the winter, for months) at a time is a recipe for trouble to begin with.

For this lady, color would be nice but not essential, so a monochrome laser would be sufficient. Reliable wireless connectivity would be preferable, and a footprint not much larger than 12 x 18 inches is a necessity. After spending an hour and a half reading the one-star reviews on Amazon, I would be afraid to recommend any All-In-One printer

Can anyone suggest suitable devices for her?

tanstaafl.