Quote:
It appears that all the plugging and unplugging of the coaxial connector moved the switch contacts around enough to clean them of oxidation, and it works correctly.

That state will only be temporary, I'm afraid. Problem will return randomly until you replace the jack.

Quote:
I think the contacts could even be cleaned with some dental tools if need be -- reach into the coaxial jack with a slender, pointy thing and lightly scrape the contact clean.

If I recall correctly, the contact in question, the one that senses whether the AC Adapter is plugged in or not, isn't reachable from the outside.

You could clean the + pin and the - ground tab, i.e., the main power contacts. But these are not the things which cause the problem. The inner contact, the one which changes state when the barrel connector gets plugged in, is not even visible from the outside as far as I know. It's an inner contact driven by lever action from the pushing down of the - ground tab from the outside. I tried searching for a picture or diagram on the internet, but I can't find a good one.

Even if it were visible, though, the job would be so painstaking that I'd much rather just replace the connector with a good one, since it's a very common part and easy to obtain.

In my case, the replacement part has been much more reliable than the original part. My original part failed very quickly in the player's lifespan, and I replaced it with one from Digi-Key, and that one has lasted for many years without exhibiting the symptom. So it's a question of parts quality in this case, I think.