Honestly, after having my apartment flooded and all the contents destroyed by hurricane Richard in Belize 5 years ago, I was a bit on edge about this one. Although we're about 125 miles inland and 5200 feet of elevation, that was a monster of a storm by Thursday night and they were predicting 50-60 mph winds where I live in Zapopan as well as 10 inches of rain.

The reality is that we got steady rain all day, but rarely torrential and very little wind. The wind gusted up a bit last night between 2 and 4 AM a bit, but just enough to blow some of the leaves down from the trees. I didn't even hardly see any branches down. I'm guessing the eye of the storm passed about 40 miles from here, and supposedly had winds that were category 3 or so, but they must have been pretty concentrated around the eye, because we didn't get too much. The mountain just to the west of us may have helped block the wind.

All-in-all, I think Mexico was spared what could have been a terrible effect. The storm made landfall in between two populated areas in a very large sparsely populated private resort. I'm sure there was some property damage there, but very little loss of life and little effect on infrastructure. We'll see in the coming days what the full effect of the storm was, but I think we dodged a bullet with this one.